The Green Washing Of Ocean Safe & Reef Safe Suncare? Is The Sunscreen Being Sold To You Truly Ocean & Reef Safe?
Many people are unaware of the global issue surrounding toxic sunscreen ingredients and the damage they inflict on marine life and our ocean. Specifically the sun creams that have chemical ingredients proven to cause damage to coral reefs (97% of all brands sold globally fall into this toxic group). It is for this reason we are contacting you as a resort island with the responsibility for the aquatic environment that surrounds you.
Many brands claim to be ocean friendly and/or reef safe, ‘Green Washing’ their brand to appear respectful to the environment when in-fact their products contain harmful chemicals and stabilizing agents which are particularly damaging to coral reefs and marine ecosystems.
“Reef Safe: Don’t let labels fool you. Some sunscreens labeled as “reef safe” contain ingredients known to harm coral reefs. This is because there are no legal requirements or regulations for the use of the term “reef safe” or other eco-friendly claims on packaging.
Here are some of the ingredients which you need to be aware of.
● Oxybenzone – sometimes called benzophenone-3
● Octinoxate – On packaging, it may be listed as OMC, methoxy-cinnamate or ethylhexyl methoxy-cinnamate
● Nanoparticles – they’re most commonly found as nanoparticle titanium dioxide of zinc oxide.
If any of the above ingredients are in sun creams you choose to buy they will be damaging the marine life and coral reef life in the ocean at your holiday destination. We urge all consumers to look deeper into the ingredients of the sunscreens before they buy to check their TRUE ocean and reef safe credentials.
Our Credentials & Green Promises
● Gold award winner Australian Non-Toxic Awards 2020 – Best SPF30 Sunscreen
● Gold award winner Australian Non-Toxic Awards 2020 – Best SPF50 Sunscreen
● Silver award winner Australian Non-Toxic Awards 2020 – Best SPF50 Kids Sunscreen
● Founded & owned by husband & wife team of marine biologists
● Founded with the sole aim of creating the world’s most marine and reef safe suncare product range
● Low carbon packaging made from 100% recyclable sugarcane PE bioplastic. No single-use packaging
● 100% manufactured in Australia with solar power, sustainable & ethical practices.
● $1 donation to marine projects on every product sold globally
● 100% plant based natural ingredients
Who we are / People4Ocean / www.people4ocean.com
Launched in Australia in 2018 and now finally available in the UK and EU from 2021 People4Ocean Sun Care is the creation of accomplished marine biologists, husband and wife team, Louise and Austin Laing. Working in collaboration with Australian Spa label La Gaia Unedited they developed a one-of-a-kind sophisticated sun care range, eco-consciously formulated to protect sensitive skins and natural ecosystems. The entire range excludes all water polluting elements. Formulas are skin-loving, combining clean and active botanicals with mineral-rich ingredients making them ocean & skin-conscious. Using plant-based and local ingredients, the entire range is suitable for vegetarians (Australian sustainable beeswax being the only animal by-product to its formulas) and offers 100% plant-based products.
There is overwhelming evidence, shown now through many studies, that mainstream sunscreens are polluting our waterways, entering our oceans and affecting aquatic life. Oxybenzone, Octinoxate and Octocrylene are just some of the most commonly used UV-filters in chemical base sunscreens ingredients which are toxic to ocean life, acting as hormones disruptors on marine species and impacting coral reefs even from very small concentrations are unnecessarily damaging our oceans. It is for this reason that all People4Ocean Sun Care formulations exclude water-polluting elements.
“P4O Sun Care is a story about skin health, ocean adventures and most of all, family. Together People4Ocean and LaGaia Unedited ; Mother, Daughters and Son, set out on a Global first. A natural sun system loved by skin, conscious of the environment and that gives back to ocean life. We believe our sun care solutions – and the people that use them – are a driving force towards healthier skin and cleaner oceans”. – People4Ocean Owners. Louise and Austin Laing.